The former Methodist Chapel

It is uncertain when the Wesleyan Chapel was built, but it is first mentioned in Kelly’s Directory of 1885.

The chapel was connected to the Market Rasen Circuit. The chapel is built in the same style as many of the houses and the school which are dated to the 1870s.

A surviving Collection Journal shows that a different minister or chairman would take the services every week. The average collection in 1948 would have been about ten shillings; by 1972 the last recorded collection was £4.32. Most services were held in the evenings with special occasions being for circuit aid.

There were two main occasions which were held every year, the first being the Chapel Anniversary held during the months of May or June. Secondly there was the Harvest Festival which appears to have taken place on the first Sunday of each October. After the Harvest Festival a sale would take place with funds raised. The sales began in 1956 raising £14.1 Os of that year. The last sale was held on 9 October 1972 raising £16.541/2

According to the Sunday School register thirty children were on roll in 1930. By the time the Sunday School closed there were only ten children attending. Children were presented with books. There is a record of The Riders by Herbert Strang being presented to Joseph Hall at Christmas 1932 for handwork. Books were also presented to children in July of each year.

Today, the Chapel is used as offices for a company specialising in safaris. The inside has been altered but there are still memorial stones commemorating the lives of the Bratton family on the walls.

Robin Hall & Maria Wass

Some more information about the chapel can be found here


The Joiner’s Workshop

The Joiner’s Workshop, which is part of Hackthorn Estate, was built in 1887 with Mr W. H. Hill being the first joiner. In the late 1890s William Teather walked from Wellow in Nottinghamshire to find work at Wellingore. On learning that the position had already been taken he continued to Hackthorn where he had heard that a joiner was needed. He thus became the joiner, wheelwright and undertaker for Hackthorn, and was followed in the business by his son Charles.

Charles retired in t he 1940s and his son Eric carried on the business until he retired in 1967. The Teather family lived in the cottage now known as Birch Cottage.

Work in the 1930s and 40s consisted mainly of repairing farm implements, and “hooping” wagon and cart wheels using the very large hooping platform in the workshop orchard; water was used from the nearby well. The metal hoop was heated by placing logs all round it and setting them on fire until it was hot. Two men would then place the hoop over the wheel rim and hammer it into place. To stop the wooden wheel catching fire two other men had to throw water over the wheel in order to cool it down. Hooping wheels was extremely hot work so a good supply of lemonade and ginger beer was always available.

There was a wooden building on the north side of the workshop. This housed a very large Crossley engine which drove a large circular saw. This was used for cutting out gate posts and planks, and for sawing firewood used to heat the iron hooping rims for the wheels. The engine and saw were sold when Eric Teather retired in 1967. Colin Moore, who had worked for Eric, then took over the business.

Colin dismantled the old engine and saw sheds and built a large store shed. He also built a chapel of rest which was used as part of his undertaking business.

Colin Moore

The Joiner’s Workshop as it appeared in 2012 having been opened as a Gallery

The Forge

The Forge

The forge was the hub of the village in the first half of the Century.

Situated next to the post office it was a great attraction to children who would vie for the pleasure of pumping the bellows. What a fascination to see the black embers gradually turning to dark red, then orange and finally white hot as the air was pumped through. The sight and sound of the smith as he removed the hot iron from the fire and hammered i t into shape on his anvil, sparks flying in all directions was so exciting; no protective gear was worn by the onlookers in those days. Oh! The smell of burning hoof as the hot shoe was positioned to bed it in for a perfect fit!
Being a farrier was only part of the blacksmith’s work. He would make and repair all kinds of farm implements from binders to elevators, harrows and plough patts as well as tools for small-holders and gardeners. He also worked in conjunction with the local wheelwright making metal parts for carts and wagons. Colin and Donald Moore tell of the number of implements parked outside and on the verge opposite awaiting repair, and as boys helping to paint tools.

By 1900 David Moore (no relation of Colin and Donald), and fondly known as ‘Blackie’, had taken over from his father, Robert, who had retired from smithing and was now the post­ master. David and his wife lived with his father-in-law, Mr Clarke, in one of the cottages on Storr’s Hill; the cottage was also known as the Cyclists’ Rest. He was suddenly taken ill and died in May 1916 aged 52 years.

Stephen Wilson took over the forge and remained until 1948. He lived in Rose Cottage and was as popular as David had been. It is said that Stephen was a keen cricketer, not the usual fast-bowler charging up the hill, but the wicket keeper whose hands were so hard from his work that he declined to wear the ‘keeper’s gloves.

Vic Deighton was the next smith. He was the first tenant in the newly-built No 1 Counci l House. Vic left in 1951 and went to Wellingore. The last blacksmith and farrier was Don Moore (again, no relation) and he moved into the council house vacated by Vic. A new workshop was built for him behind the forge and an electric blower installed for the furnace.

Don left in 1955 and the forge was used as a garage until 1981. Bob Oakes took over the forge for ornamental wrought-iron work for a few years before moving to Cold Hanworth. He moved to Aivingham near Louth for two years before returning to Cold Hanworth where he now runs a successful teaching school for blacksmiths. Emma Kirkland used the forge for making decorative candles and then for decorating pottery. She left to open a gift shop in Welton.

Jack Bettison


Branch No 19 The Lincoln Equitable Co-operative Industrial Society Ltd.
Mr Charles Larder and assistant. c1925

The  Co-op was  started  in 1888  as a small village society by local influential well-wishers led by Mrs Cracroft. It  was originally  known as Hackthorn & Cold Hanworth Provident Society Ltd, and it was a very successful undertaking. Despite success, administrative difficulties befell it, and in 1900 it amalgamated with the Lincoln Society and became Branch No.19 of the Lincoln Equitable Co-Operative Industrial Society Ltd.
At this time William Baldwin was the Manager. He was followed by Charles Larder, a well-known and popular man who lived at The Gables. Later managers were: Mr Hartley, Mr G. Lambert and Mr R. Simpson. William Jackson was the last permanent manager in the late 1950s and 1960s. He was suddenly taken ill and died.

The Co-op was finding difficulty in appointing a new manager and as business was declining, decided to close the store in 1967. Mr G. W. Bilton, newly arrived in the village, took it over as a private concern, but was unable to make it a profitable venture and closed it in March 1968.

The shop was sold to Mr John Taylor, who converted it into a private residence in the following year.

Jack Bettison

The Co-op shop after conversion to a private dwelling.

 Memories of the Co-op

“I  knew Hackthorn best from 1958 1961 when I worked at the small Coop  No 19  Branch. We used to sell pig meal, poultry food, vinegar (in a barrel), paraffin, methylated spirits, drapery   items   like   stockings   and   knitting   wool,  Boots’ Chemists’   items,  bread,  cakes  along  with  groceries.       At Christmas we sold toys.   We had an icecream fridge but no frozen foods.  Also I remember the manager trying to keep the flies off the bacon sides in the hot weather!


The heating was a small coke stove that needed lighting every morning with paper, sticks and coal.  If it was foggy it would not oblige. The shop was a meeting place for most people from the village, especially the elderly gentlemen.  I remember Mr Bradshaw, Mr Lenygon and Mr Storr among others, who used to sit around the stove having a good talk”.


Joan  Mumby (nee Shearman)

War Memorial

Hackthorn War Memorial as it appeared soon after it was installed
Hackthorn War Memorial as it appeared soon after its completion.

Harry Andrew
Bertram Bratton
Edward Green
Harry Linley
Arthur Moore
Fred Popple
Frank Rigall
Charles Toyne
George Upfold
John Wood


Reginald Hannath Clarke
Frederick Charles Clarke