School Scrapbooks – War Memorial

ARTICLES TAKEN FROM THE SCRAP BOOKS OF
HACKTHORN C.E. SCHOOL
– 29TH May 1920

HACKTHORN

THE WAR MEMORIAL erected in this village was dedicated and unveiled on Saturday afternoon. The Vicar (Rev. B.J. Boodle, M.A.) conducted the service, also performing the ceremony of dedication, in the regretted absence, through indisposition, of Canon Jarvis. In an eloquent and touching address, the Vicar explained that the memorial had been erected in honour of the men who had served in the Great War. The cross surmounting the stone denoted the noble service and great self-sacrifice of those who gave their lives for their country. It was also typical of the Cross on which Christ died that the world might be freed from sin. The unveiling ceremony was performed by Major West Cracroft Amcotts, M.C. (late Royal Engineers), of Kettlethorpe Hall. In his address the Major paid a glowing tribute to the courage and determination of the men of the Army and Navy, and to the mutual trust between officers and men, every unit knowing it would be supported, and each man knowing his chum would not fail him. The country to-day needed all the above virtues if we were to uphold the traditions of the great British Empire. In conclusion the Major thanked all those at home, both men and women, who had helped so materially to bring about the ultimate great victory. Suitable prayers were offered b the Vicar, and hymns 447, 165 A.&M. were sung, Mrs. Naylor playing the accompaniments. Floral tributes were placed on the memorial, which takes the form of a shaft of Portland stone, surmounted by a cross, the whole standing on a base of concrete. The following inscriptions are engraved on the stone: “In grateful remembrance of the men from Hackthorn who served their King and country in the Great War, 1914-1918. –Naught shall make us rue, If England to itself, do rest but true.” The memorial was supplied by Messrs. Tuttell and Sons, Lincoln. Following the ceremony, a Roll of Honour was unveiled in the Day School by Major Weston Cracroft Amcotts, M.C., who gave an appropriate address to the scholars present. This beautiful work of art is the gift of the head teacher, Miss Tattershall, and was executed by Messrs. John Heywood, Manchester. It contains the names of 37 old scholars of the school who joined the Forces, nine of whom made the supreme sacrifice. A fitting tribute to these gallant lads was the beautiful rendering by the school children of the hymn for the fallen, after the unveiling of the tablet. Miss Ball accompanied on the piano. Mr. E. W. Cracroft, J.P., on behalf of the Managers, accepted the gift to the school, Mr. J. M. Riggall proposing a vote of thanks to the donor and to Major Amcotts for kindly coming over that day to unveil the memorial and tablet. The Roll of Honour was subsequently the centre of much admiration.

Does anyone know of the whereabouts of the School Roll of Honour? Is it still in existence?